CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 20, 2010

That Person...

Yes, we did need to take our shirt off after the game....
Have you ever met that person...that one who doesn't have to try at things & winds up being great?  I think I have one of those people in my house. He is 5, his name is Ryan.  The child has been throwing things across the room like a quarterback since before he could walk.  It's a regular occurrence for cars to STOP as we're playing outside to comment on whatever it is that he's doing athletically.  Nothing new though, he's been getting stopped at the grocery store and everywhere else since birth for comments about how "beautiful" he is...I wasn't sure how to take that in the beginning, being that he's a boy. Beautiful?

Anyway, I don't mean to be "that mom"...the one who brags, honestly not the point of this blog. As I was sitting at his first soccer game this weekend, I was thinking about how totally unenthused he is about soccer. I was waiting for him to start walking around the field and to stop caring about how he was supposed to be going after the ball.  Believe me, soccer is really not his cup of tea.  So, I wasn't surprised when he wasn't especially aggressive about getting that ball.  The game was as all Kindergarten soccer games are...pretty boring. Herd ball anyone?  But then it happened: the ball happened to come across his feet and....well, he took that sucker down the field and fired it into the goal. Just like that....the spark was lit.  He was officially excited and went on to score two more goals, followed by "chestbumps" with his fellow Kindergarten teammates...seriously, who is this kid?
So my thinking continued, I swear I'll get to the point soon.  Soccer is something he doesn't necessarily love yet it looks like this will be the second year where he has some true natural talent.  I see this in many other areas of little Ryan's life as well...for example, I think he can read things. Not just the signs of places we regularly go to but other things too.  We were renting a movie at the Redbox the other night and he read a title of a grown-up movie...maybe you've seen it? "Kick A$$"....this was not one of my especially proud moments but seriously, he was reading? We need to focus on the good, people! In all seriousness though, it's hard to be that person, that person where things just fall into your lap. That person who doesn't have to work super hard for things...why you might ask?  Because....that WILL come to an end at some point.  Does anyone really live their entire life like that?

I only hope I have it in me to help him through that point...when he actually has to TRY.  Lord knows all he has to do is flash that smile or wrap his arms around me...and I'm a goner.

Note to self: I should probably start closing my eyes when disciplining. Way more effective.

0 comments:

Post a Comment